JOB TITLE: Assistant Teacher
DEPARTMENT: Early Childhood Education (ECE)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Assistant Director
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Assistant Teacher is responsible for responsible for helping the teacher adhere to the guidelines of the Department of Health and Human Services and the DCFS Licensing Standards including those of a mandated reporter of suspected child abuse or neglect cases. The Assistant Teacher is also responsible for helping to ensure that the children of Garden of Prayer Early Education & Intervention Center receive high quality developmentally appropriate experiences. The Assistant Teacher substitutes for the teacher in the classroom, following a lesson plan provided by the teacher, Assistant Director/ Director.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the teacher, maintain a safe and healthy environment that follows the Garden of Prayer Early Education & Intervention Center standards and the Teacher Assistant job targets;
- In collaboration with the teacher, arrange physical space to encourage independence
- In collaboration with the teacher, arrange physical space into learning centers
- Direct specific activities in the classroom and outside as assigned by the teacher (i.e. small groups)
- In collaboration with the teacher, prepare materials to be used in the daily programs
- In collaboration with the teacher, provide smooth routines such as: hand washing, toileting, greeting, tooth brushing, etc.
- Eat with the children and provide appropriate discussion for meal times
- In collaboration with the teacher, ensure that all documentation takes place in a timely manner;
- Maintain and turn in accurate daily attendance and meal attendance
- Daily completion of the classroom health and safety checklist
- Accurate child assessment using the appropriate developmental screening tools
- Heights and weights of the children in the classroom
- Assist the teacher to provide a balanced curriculum that encourages social and cultural awareness; exploration; predicting and testing behaviors; choices of learning center activities; large and small group activities and individual activities; language development; cognitive development; and fine and gross motor activities.
- Work as a member of a classroom team;
- Follow written systems to share responsibilities
- Share information
- Accept responsibility for managing the classroom when the teacher is absent from the room, following lesson plans provided by the teacher or Assistant Director/Center Director
- Interact with children and adults in a positive manner
- Attend daily team meetings
- In collaboration with the teacher plan activities and methods for keeping parents involved in their child's development to strengthen their role as their child's first teacher
- Participate in parent/teacher conferences
- Participate in the monitoring system designed for Garden of Prayer Early Education & Intervention Center ensuring follow up of all issues found during compliance/monitoring visits
- Assist the teacher in evaluating the daily program as it relates to needs of the child
- Attend staff meetings, in-service training, pre-service, regional classroom trainings
- Help with the clean up and care of room and classroom equipment
- Work cooperatively with the teacher and family development team to maintain good parent involvement
- Participate in the monitoring visits designed for Garden of Prayer Early Education & Intervention Center
- Report all findings during technical assistance monitoring visits and ensure follow up
- Must demonstrate belief in the Garden of Prayer Early Education & Intervention Center mission and Children and Family Services vision in all verbal and written communication
- Assist Teacher in meeting all timelines and reporting requirements
- Receive and maintain Children and Family Services Certification annually
- Ensures that the usage of agency technology, equipment and time are utilized for agency business
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the teacher, Assistant Director or Center Director
- Assist teacher to prepare children for kindergarten transition and readiness.
- Assist teacher to implement IEP and parent goals in lesson plans
- Demonstrate a warm, supportive attitude towards children
- Must be flexible
- Demonstrate a willingness to accept supervision in order to improve work performance
- Obtain at least 15 clock hours of high-quality ,classroom focused professional development per year
- An Associate's Degree preferred in ECE or related field or Early childhood assistants shall have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED).
- Early childhood assistants shall work under the direct supervision of an early childhood teacher and shall not assume full responsibility for a group of children
- Hold a general knowledge of a young child's growth patterns and a sensitivity to individual needs
- Appropriate judgment in the areas of child supervision and safety, as well as parent relations
- Ability to work cooperatively with the teacher and classroom staff
- Ability to communicate with children, parents, local administrative staff, and grantee staff, with a special sensitivity to issues affecting the poverty population
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Must be physically able to perform the job of a preschool teacher (e.g. able to lift children and/or equipment 40lbs; able to stoop, bend, sit, and stand for extended periods of time...
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified.
- The potential candidate must be able to pass a background check and fingerprint clearance as well as be willing to participate in continuing education